Bet you thought I’d forgotten about $20.00 date night! BUT I HAVE NOT! Here are 5 reasons I think Lil Cheezers is the perfect place for your frugal date night:
1. You no longer have to chase down a food truck, or monitor twitter for that food truck’s whereabouts. Lil Cheezers hopes to have a couple food trucks up and running in the future, but for now you can visit them at their restaurant location on Bardstown Road, near O’Shea’s. It doesn’t move! It’s there all the time, open very late, for all your grilled cheese emergencies. I don’t know about you guys, but I have a LOT of grilled cheese emergencies.
2. Grilled cheese is under $10, unless you add a bunch of stuff. Seriously, you can get a big whopping grilled cheese with a side of chips, soup or the brightest, orange-est, awesome-est sweet potato fries in the world for under $10.00 each. This is a major deal! Also, if you want to be super cheap, lunch specials at Little Cheezers often run at $5.00 for a half sandwich and a side of soup, perfect for this recent blight of chilliness.
3. Two words: curried ketchup. Lil Cheezers makes their own curried ketchup, and you have to taste it to believe how well the sweet tomato ketchup and the curry combine. I can’t believe grocery stores aren’t selling curried ketchup right now. Especially on the afor mentioned fries—it’s dynamite.
4. My three favorite sandwiches at Lil Cheezers are: the fried bologna (smoked Gouda fried bologna) the fancy pants (brie, sliced granny smith apples, walnuts, caramelized onions) and the Caprese (tomato, basil mozzarella, balsamic reduction). You can also build you own grilled cheese from a lovely array of ingredients or add to any sandwich on the menu.
5. S’MORES. Lil Cheezers has S’MORES. I love the utter lack of pretension it takes for a restaurant to serve s’mores. There are so many things I love about the sheer comfortable humbleness of Lil Cheezers, serving entirely comfort food, keeping it affordable, operating out of a truck—this is a local business worth supporting.
Check it out! I advise combining your grilled cheese and s’mores date with a night of making pillow and blanket forts, watching The Goonies and Super 8 and snuggling next to your loved one for a childhood flashback.