I had the best meal I’ve ever had in Louisville at The Place Downstairs, no lie.
it was for our first wedding anniversary, and we were ready to do it up right. The Place Downstairs is downstairs from another favorite spot: Mussel & Burger Bar. It’s intimate, beautiful, romantic, expensive. This is what we ate:
- The foie gras torchon, with pear and brioche. Smooth, buttery, soft, decadent.
- The campfire breakfast jar, with smoked poached egg, warm ricotta, walnuts, sea salt, maple. This thing is so good I have no good food words to describe it. Eating it is like waking up to a text message from someone you’ve liked for years that says “Good morning, beautiful.”
- The pork heaven, with Berkshire pork tenderloin, Serrano ham, Chistorria, pork crumble, brussels sprouts, mustard and fig. Very large and meaty, this could definitely be shared.
- Ribeye Filet: It was incredible. I’ve had better (my husband is really good at cooking meat!) but it was the best I’ve ever had in a restaurant.
- The trio of ice creams in house-made cones. Frankly delicious, but they don’t compare to Proof’s gelato or even M & BB’s trio of creme pots.
- Plum ginger mojito. I would probably die happy if I could drink this drink every day.
Service was impeccable, but the kitchen was incredibly slow on the night we went (it took us about two hours for the whole meal) but we weren’t upset…we wanted to take our time.
I love The Place Downstairs, and I can’t wait to have another special occasion excuse to go back.